It’s official: Sacramento Republic have released their slate for the 2020 preseason to prepare for the upcoming USL Championship campaign.
The headline is the clash against defending champs Real Monarchs at Papa Murphy’s Park on Feb. 29, which will be open to the public. Tickets go on sale on Tuesday, while season ticket holders will get automatic access to the match. The game is scheduled for 6 pm PT.
Otherwise, the club announced their opponents for several preseason scrimmages, but did not reveal dates (although we know some of them): They will play the San Jose Earthquakes (Feb. 21) and Seattle Sounders (Wednesday), as well as upcoming U.S. Open Cup opponent Oakland Roots, big rival Reno 1868 FC and Sacramento State, all for closed-door games. We’ll fill in more details as we find them.
More news for your Monday:
- Nagle is Sacramentan of the Year: Republic FC investor Kevin Nagle has taken the prize as the top Sacramento person from the local Chamber of Commerce. Nagle was honored over the weekend.
Congrats to @KevinNagleMLS on being named Sacramentan of the year at the @Metro_Chamber annual dinner. A well-deserved honor for a man who played a pivotal role in @SacRepublicFC’s journey to the @MLS. pic.twitter.com/Nmf3OppCfo— Darrell Steinberg (@Mayor_Steinberg) February 1, 2020
- Saari joins OKC Energy: One more 2019 Sac Republic player, Ray Saari, has found a new landing spot, the Tulsa native moving closer to home to play for OKC Energy FC in 2020.
- Velasquez on the market? According to El Paso Locomotive blog Seriously Loco, it sounds like Sebastian Velasquez is a free agent after he did not get picked up in Colombia where he went on trial in the offseason, and El Paso have moved on without him, too. Velasquez has bounced around quite a bit, but the guy is obviously a baller at USL Championship level. Wonder if any other Western Conference teams are taking a hard look at him right now...
- San Antonio sign Solignac: Luis Solignac was honestly really disappointing at MLS level, but the Argentine signed with San Antonio FC, and could be the kind of player to make SAFC dangerous again.
- Orange County add Rangers trio: Orange County SC recently entered a partnership with Scottish club Rangers FC, and on Monday the teams announced three Rangers prospects have been loaned to OCSC for the season. How will they fare in the USL Championship?
Today’s question: What’s catching your fancy as the second week of preseason kicks off for Sac Republic? Let’s chat in the comments below!