Let me start off by saying it is way too early to be writing this. Sacramento Republic FC have only played a single league match under new Head Coach Paul Buckle and it is a bit too early to be making generalizations and definite pronouncements about how he is molding the team to fit his vision. That, however, is not going to stop us here at Indomitable City Soccer.
Right from the very beginning of his tenure as Sacramento Republic FC’s coach, Paul Buckle has been saying that he is not going to make significant changes to the team. It has always been stressed that the Republic will continue to play an attacking style of play, but that there would also be more of a focus on keeping a balance between attack and defense so as not to leave the team vulnerable.
Although it is definitely true that Buckle has not come close to overhauling the team, it is already becoming apparent that things are changing. These changes are not so much drastic as they are simply refocusing the team in certain areas, such as formation and chance creation.
The most visible changes that Buckle has brought to the Republic thus far were seen in the win over Seattle Sounders 2 last Saturday. The Republic’s change to a 4-3-3 system from a 4-4-2 came suddenly and without much warning, surprising both fans and the assorted media. Despite the initial shock, the new setup has been generally greeted positively. The general feeling is that it seems to better utilize the roster that Sacramento has, particularly in regard to the midfield trio of Ivan Mirkovic, Danny Barrera, and Rodrigo Lopez.
Both Barrera and Lopez had been used primarily as outside midfielders in previous matches, with Mirkovic and either Gilberto or Octavio Guzman making up the 4-4-2’s central midfield tandem. By moving both Lopez and Barrera centrally with the 4-3-3, Buckle changed how they functioned. In a previous interview about the difference in playing outside midfield and centrally, Barrera said “in the midfield it’s much more crowded and decisions have to be made much quicker; out wide you get it with time and you see the field.” Although the move deprived both Barrera and Lopez that time on the ball, it was a good move overall because they are two of best players on the team at making quick decisions with the ball at their feet. Getting both Barrera and Lopez in the same midfield, with Mirkovic acting as a strong defensive cover, all but ensures that Sacramento will win the battle in the middle of the field.
While the overall formation change has been the most recognizable change that Buckle has brought about, it is something that could always change. The decision to go with the Mirkovic-Barrera-Lopez grouping against S2 was made to counter the visitors’ tendency to utilize the wide spaces by filling up the middle of the field without letting the fullbacks, Klimenta and Kiffe, get exposed. Whether that will end up being the go-to formation in the future remains to be seen. It is just too early on in Buckle’s tenure to tell if the 4-3-3 that the Republic ran out on Saturday is the new norm or just one of many clubs in the tactical bag.
Although it may be too early to say for certain how the Republic will be lining up in the future, one thing can be said for certain: they will be creating more chances from the middle of the field than from the wide areas.
Although USL and the Republic do not keep track of open play crosses and through balls, it was plain enough to see just with the naked eye that Sacramento was attempting many more through balls than crosses against S2. Barrera and Lopez were threading balls behind the defense all night and were rewarded with an assist each. “For me, that’s the most dangerous pass, splitting through the defense,” said Thomas Stewart, the man who was often the target of those through balls. “The defenders don’t like that ball, that’s why they try to play you out wide.”
The reliance on through balls is much more fitting with the Republic’s roster, which is bursting at the seams with technical ability and has quite a few clever and speedy wingers and forwards. Coach Buckle seems to have the same assessment of the roster, saying “we have the players in the team that can thread those balls through” after the win over S2.
Even though it may be way too early to make any definite conclusions about the long term look of Buckleball, it is not too early to see the nature of the changes coming to the Republic. Rather than a complete overhaul, the team is simply refocusing away from the long switches and crosses of Preki to the clever combination play and through balls of Buckle.
On the other hand… what are your thoughts on Guzman as a winger? I like him a lot more in the middle; I think he’s better at reading the game and moving the ball around midfield than at the 1v1 play that wingers tend to be involved in.
LikeLike
I agree with you that Guzman is probably best off in the middle. It’s seemed to be the spot where he’s done the best consistently. However, he seems to be very versatile and has done well in multiple positions. So while he may not be the best in that wide spot, he still does a good job. He brings less 1v1 skill to the table for sure, but reading the game and circulating the ball is useful at that wide position as well.
LikeLike
Given the players and skill sets in this club, I had wondered why we hadn’t tried the 4-3-3 before. This team has never been a huge threat in the air, and the passing/technical ability among our starters lends itself more to movement up the middle through traffic than picking crosses from wingers out of the air. I liked what I saw on Saturday, especially once I got used to the new attacking rhythm.
LikeLike
I agree on just about every point there. The 4-3-3 seems to utilize the best players all at once and the emphasis on movement and passing/technical ability brings out the best of most of the players.
LikeLike
I think the biggest thing is to not get too one dimensional. Preki fell into it and it was aggravating, especially against Los Dos. They were playing great defense, yet we kept trying crosses from the wings. It was either that or long balls over the top. I’m sure there were a few but I don’t remember many through balls being played. The attack needed to change, whether it was more through balls, bringing on Thommy Stewart earlier, or a little of both. Our forwards aren’t very tall. Braun and Gabeljic are the only 2 over 6’0″. My biggest hope for Buckleball is that he adapts and adjusts as the game requires. Crosses from the wings aren’t working, shift to a more direct, up the gut approach with through balls.
I would also like to see more shots from outside the 18, like Stewart’s first goal on Saturday. Barrera showed flashes of it against Sunderland and I’m really excited to see what he can do on a more consistent basis. If we attempted more long-distance and accurate shots, the scouting report on the Republic would change. It may force the defenders to come out and pressure a little more, rather than waiting for us to dribble into the box and attempt a shot from close range. In my mind, this would open up those through ball opportunities. Catch defenders sleeping.
One last thought. How about this lineup? Use a 4-2-3-1. Same back line, with Gilberto and Mirkovic playing as the two central midfield defenders. Then, left to right in the attacking mid positions, you have Guzman (when healthy), Lopez, and Barrera. Stewart up top. This way, Lopez is central and able to distribute as he likes or to attack. Barrera and Guzman could either play out wide and send in crosses or more direct and attempt shots from outside the box.
As it has been said, it’s way too early to know what Buckleball is going to look like on a consistent basis. But, it’s been fun so far. Both BPL games and the S2 game. Is it Saturday yet? COME ON YOU BOYS IN RED!!
LikeLike
You’re certainly right that Preki seemed to get a little too one dimensional at times. Early signs point to Buckle being a little bit more flexible, considering that he specifically said that they wanted to clog the middle against S2 to punish them for their emphasis on the flanks. But just like Preki he obviously concentrates on how his team plays rather than trying to change everything to fit the opponent.
Shots outside the 18 are an interesting beast. On one hand, you’re right that they would keep defenders on their toes and would give another element to the attck. On the other hand, shots outside the 18 are much less likely to go in. So increasing how many the team takes could lead to more wasted opportunities and less quality chances.
That lineup you posted is an interesting one for sure, although I’m a little concerned about the lack of any true wide players. It would definitely be a lineup that would win the possession battle, that’s for damn sure.
LikeLike